Welcome

Hello,

My name is Jan Leyssens. I'm a student Industrial Design at the university college of West-Flanders.

For my masters project I'm going to develop a new demonstrator for the expo at IMEC.
This demonstrator will contain a new product that shows the power of IMEC's solar technology and this blog (the making of the product).

Feel free to sent in ideas, remarks, comments,...

zaterdag 21 november 2009

Long time not seen...

Hi,
It's been a while since the last time I posted something on this blog, and that's mainly because I was busy...

After some crazy weeks, we decided to continue on creating the new generation computer...

Now, this new generation will be ruled by 'the internet'. This may sound vague, but I got this Google video from youtube that explains my vision exactly.

the big difference between google, windows and mac and this project is that I'll have my computer concept finished and running by may 2010. (That's because I won't be creating new Operating Systems).

Please check out this video on youtube, it explains everything I would need 5 posts for in about 4 minutes...


3 opmerkingen:

  1. Hi Jan,
    Can you tell me how you are going to link Imec's solar technology and Chrome?
    Do you want to build and solar driven internet device or...?

    Kind regards

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. I would like to create the new generation of computers.

    Because of the trend towards virtualization, there'll be no more use for hard disks and all hardware components. this'll all be implemented in the servers.

    The complete concepts would be a simple internet driven device with everything runnig on individual devices (examples you can find now are google docs, dropbox, evernote,...) that are all on different servers.

    Nowadays there aren't enough programs you can run from the internet (AutoCAD, Adobe CS, big games,...), so as for now I'll have a fully solar powered solar station (less hardware means less energy), that has a receiver of xendesktop (remote desktop control).

    This way I'll be able to run a OS on a server (servers nowadays run 15-20% of their capacity, this is again a waste of energy), and live stream the image it creates to my smaller device.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Hey Jan,
    Samsung is ondertussen klaar met een eerste smart phone met zonnepanelen: de samsung blue earth. zal ongeveer 399 EUR kosten.
    Jo DW

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen